Electronic identity card and Kids-ID

Information on the electronic identity card and Kids-ID.

  1. Last updated on

In accordance with European regulations, all identity cards issued by EU member countries must contain the fingerprints of 2 fingers (index finger) since mid-2021.

Since 21 June 2021, you have to go in person, by appointment, to the Consulate General of Belgium in Bucharest to obtain an electronic identity card (e-ID) or a Kids-ID (if your child is aged 6 or over).

All the important information about this procedure: in French (PDF, 213.15 KB) and Dutch (PDF, 207.25 KB)

The Belgian embassies and career consulates issue electronic identity cards to Belgians who are listed in their population registers:

For costs, please check the consular fees.

These eID and Kids-ID offer various benefits:

  1. Handy bank card size
  2. Possibility to travel to more than 50 countries (more information in French or Dutch)
  3. Less expensive than a passport: 20 € for an eID, 10 € for a Kids-ID
  4. Remains valid in case you move (to another career post, from or to Belgium)
  5. Allows certain secure actions over the internet (if the certificates have been activated)

Issuing period

Your eID will be available at the Embassy 6 weeks after your request. We will notify you when your eID is ready.

Card activation eID

Since January 2020, the Belgian Embassy in Bucharest can activate eID, Kids-ID and their certificates (to identify oneself on the internet) with the help of the dedicated card reader and your personal PUK code.

Card activation and certificate activation:

  • cards and certificates are activated only in the presence of the citizen
  • an eID of a minor aged 12 to 18 can only be activated in the presence of that minor
  • however, a Kids-ID may be activated by the parents (or legal representative)

More information...

Do not confuse the Belgian identity card with the Belgian passport or with the residence card of your country of residence

Note the difference between Belgian identity cards and residence documents, which may be issued by the country of residence. The validity and legal nature of these residence documents are generally limited to the territory of the country of residence.

The eID and Kids-ID are valid identity and travel documents for the member states of the European Union and for a few neighbouring countries. Hence, they will often be helpful - and even necessary - means for the holders to identify themselves.

For numerous countries a passport is required as an eID is not sufficient.